Monday, December 8, 2008

No Basting Required!

I do not love Thanksgiving Turkey. I can handle it the first day, but hate the leftovers. This sentiment is not shared in our house. John loves Thanksgiving and can eat the leftovers for days and days, usually put together in a sandwich! It's a Norton tradition that this girl hasn't bought into yet! The turkeys here in Australia are really expensive and so I didn't want to waste an entire turkey because only John would eat the leftovers...I set out and found a recipe that is sooooo good. I made the turkey for the Sunday after Thanksgiving and made it again tonight...I can usually go an entire year without eating turkey again, that should tell you how great I think this recipe is. I found the recipe on the blog A Year of CrockPotting .

Crock Pot Turkey Breast (slight alterations from original based on family likes)

The Ingredients
--4 to 6 pound turkey breast (bone-in or out)
--2 cups chicken broth
--1 stick of butter
--1 onion
--salt and pepper

The Directions
I used a crockpot (don't know the size, but it fit a boneless turkey breast...which is all I can find down under.) Unwrap the turkey breast and pat it dry with paper towels. If desired, cut off the skin with poultry shears, and discard. Salt and pepper the breast liberally. Place breast-side down into the crockpot. Wash your hands well. Cut up an onion coarsely and push some pieces down next to the turkey and put a few in the rib cavity. Add the stick of butter. Pour the broth over the top. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours, or on high for 4-6. Use a meat thermometer to test doneness--it should register at 170°. (I cook it until the meat pulls apart) Remove from crockpot, and let sit for about 20 minutes before carving. The meat will be much more tender than if cooked in an oven. Turkey breast is usually a healthy choice, but adding the butter probably negates the nutritional value, but it makes it oh so good!

3 comments:

beckyc said...

Wish I had checked your blog earlier. That recipe sounds so easy, stress-free, and tasty. I had a dinner party last night (12/08) for Empty Nesters (yes, we can finally say we have no chicks in the roost ) was going to make stuffed pork loins,(Kim said it would be easy) chickened out at preparation time, dad came home with a precooked ham. Answer to my prayers. Froze the pork loins and stuck the ham in to warm. Dinner party a success but would have been so much better with something I actually cooked like TURKEY.
Proud of you for eating leftovers and love you too.

Derrell said...

Looking for an address, though I don't know if you'll get the Christmas card before the big day. How long does the mail take?

Terri Kofoed said...

I love cooking a turkey breast in a crockpot but never have I added a stick of butter! Sounds like something Paula Dean would do - can't waite to try it - Thanks