Monday, February 16, 2009

Mt. Gambier

After leaving Kangaroo Island on a very rough ferry ride we drove 2 1/2 hours to Adelaide to have a play at the park and to take John to the airport. John had to get back to work. I decided when making the trip arrangements that it would be fun to drive with my in-laws, three loud children and one 2 year old back to Melbourne (911 kilometers)...John asked numerous times if that was indeed what I wanted to do and I kept saying that it was no big deal and that it would allow Paul and Sharon to see a bit of Australia. Well, as Australians would say...I learnt my lesson.We are renting a car here, which means that only John and I can drive it, so I drove the entire time. The kids are great, but even sometimes they have had enough of driving. Grandma and Grandpa are great, but entertaining children for 15+ hours is exhausting.
We stopped the first night at Mt. Gambier. Its claim to fame is an incredibly blue lake. Seriously, it is a really blue lake. As sometimes happens, we went on a cloudy day which didn't show off the amazing colour, but it was still brilliant. No one really knows why the lake is that blue. Each year in November, it mysteriously starts its colour change to the unbelievable turquoise blue. From March each year it gradually makes the change back to its more sombre winter blue which is still a magnificent sight.

3 comments:

beckyc said...

What feeds the lake? Rain? Snow? Springs? There are so many things only a grandpa and grandma can do with their grandkids...Jared has a great left hook, hope Grandma N. ducked.

Melanie said...

If you use your Texas Australian you might say "I'm fixin to learnt my lesson"

Chris and Kim said...

We are getting so excited to come to Australia. In Italy they have a blue lake. Its because the sand is so white and the caves are are blue (or green) and it reflects off the sand.